Thursday, April 22, 2010

Changes...

Over the last year we have made a conscious effort to become more green. Okay, really it was mostly me making decisions & the rest of the family willing to going along with them, but I know Jon believes in & whole-heartedly supports these changes. We strive to be green for the environment, our health & most importantly for our daughter's future. So I've decided to celebrate Earth Day I would like to share some of what we do to try & live a more environmentally responsible life. I hope this inspires you to make changes in your home & please share with me how you are living green, because I know there is sooo much more we can do.

Some of the stuff we've been doing for awhile is separating recyclables from trash, composting & using reusable grocery bags. One of our biggest changes this last year & a catapult towards many others was switching to cloth diapers.

Instead of disposable wipes & paper towels after meals, we've switched to Bummas wipes. You can just use wash clothes, but I really like the small size of these & the different color stitching, I change them out daily & each kid gets a different color for the day.

After watching Oprah's Earth Day special last year & seeing how many plastic water bottles are floating in the Pacific Ocean, I knew we had to make a major dent in the amount we used. So now we use our PUR Water Dispenser & our stainless steel water bottles!


To cut back on energy use, we dry our clothes outside on sunny days...

inside on a drying rack on rainy or cold days...

and then to fluff the clothes & cut down on drying time when we do use the dryer, Buddha Bunz wool dryer balls.

We try & buy foods that are organic, natural & range free.


And of course, our own organic garden!

We've started changing our personal hygiene products to be more natural & safe. It started with just products for Haley & then the love spread.

I LOVE natural remedies!!

We started replacing chemical filled cleaners with ecofriendly, natural cleaners. I really liked reading the label of the 7th Generation cleaner that said it is not for consumption, but it was not toxic if swallowed!! Makes me feel a little safer.

Happy Earth Day!!!

1 comment:

Poppy said...

The one thing that we feel makes the most difference is just to consume less, we are enjoying living with less stuff. I am also making my own laundry detergent and as I run out of cleaning supplies am going to use baking soda and vinegar for most everything. I am even going to make my own deodorant with coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch. I hope it works!